Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Accounting Analyst I will perform a variety of accounting and administrative functions within the Finance department.
The incumbent must possess strong customer service skills, be an effective team player, be detail oriented, and maintain integrity in all dealings. The Accounting Analyst I will need to easily learn new skills, be adaptive to change, as well as be analytical and decisive while working within the parameters of their assigned authority.
Who We Are
Family Insurance is a managing general agent for Economical Insurance. As one of BC's Top Employers for 2019, we strive to be a provider of choice for auto and home insurance and an employer of choice in our industry. Our insurance policies are distributed to British Columbians through a network of independent insurance brokers across the province.
Why You’ll Like It Here
Some of Your Responsibilities*
- An incredible team of smart, collaborative, and supportive people to work with
- Great benefits, including tuition reimbursement, RRSP matching and fitness subsidies
- We are a company that values community, wellness and work-life balance. We offer personal leave, paid volunteer days and additional paid time off throughout the year
* The job duties listed above will be shared among the employees holding the position of Accounting Analyst I. Cross-training will occur and job duties may change from time to time.
**Please note that these are only some of the responsibilities of this role. A detailed job description will be sent to all qualifying candidates.
- Receive, record and reconcile broker payment statements on an ongoing basis
- Follow up with brokers regarding outstanding payments and missing statements
- Prepare and post journal entries to record cash received and required adjustments
- Prepare the month end aging report
- Handle telephone inquiries from customers and brokers
- Coordinate payment arrangements with customers that are in delinquent status, ensuring the timely recovery of all outstanding amounts owing
- Process daily notifications of missed/rejected payments from Family’s bank
- Investigate and resolve billing discrepancies or misapplied transactions
- Process daily claims cheques and weekly accounts payable
- Process commissions payable to brokers and follow up on outstanding items and adjustments
- Prepare daily deposits for all bank accounts
- Resolve cheque queries and process stop payments
- Post journal entries for daily cash deposits and receipts
- Complete assorted month end journal entries as required
- Various reconciliations and working papers as required on ad hoc, monthly and yearly basis
- Periodic assistance in preparing for the company’s annual audit
- Act as back-up to other team members as required
- Other administrative duties and accounting projects as required
Education and Experience
- Able to solve problems by gathering and reviewing available information
- Able to explain and discuss complex information so that other individual(s) can understand it
- A solid understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills
- Strong initiative and analytical approach
- Able to work effectively and harmoniously in a team environment with both internal staff and external business partners
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions with customers and co-workers
- Perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure
- Reliable, honest and demonstrated integrity in all business dealings
- Able to deal with confidential information with a high degree of diplomacy
Qualified candidates are asked to please submit a cover letter outlining your suitability for this opportunity and a copy of your resume.
- Minimum 1 year of work experience in an accounting function at a small or medium-sized business
- Post-secondary education in the field of accounting. Equivalent combinations of experience and education may be considered.
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word
We would like to thank all candidates for showing interest in this role and our company; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.